1938 - Do26 - Transocean Flying Boat
The Do 26 – a cantilever all-metal high-wing monoplane – had been developed for direct North and South Atlantic mail flights by Deutsche Lufthansa. Since the flying boat was not designed for catapult launches and landing in high seas other than in emergencies, the characteristic sponsons of the Dornier flying boats had been replaced by floats under the wings which could be retracted aerodynamic layout increased the speed and range of the aircraft. The wing consisted of a rectangular center section with the pronounced V-shape carrying two nacelles for the four engines mounted in tandem, as well as two trapezoid outer wing sections.
All sections were covered with Dural sheets. The ailerons and flaps were located behind the trailing edge. The powerplant consisted of 600 HP Junkers 205 E engines with reduction gears, operating with crude oil. The front propeller were driven directly while the rear propellers were driven via an extension shaft. The rear engine including their extension shafts, rotated upward through 10° in order to protect the propellers against splash water. The two-step hull with several bulkheads was subdivided in a nose station for maritime equipment, a mail and cargo hold, the flight deck, a communications and navigation station, a fuel hold, a second mail hold, a crew room, a galley and a lavatory.
First flight on 21 May 1938.
|Wing span||30,0 m|
|Wing area||120,0 m²|
|Powerplant Jumo 205 E||4 x 600 PS / HP|
|Maximum speed||335 km/h|
|Empty weight||11240 kg|
|All-up weight – take-off from water||15000 kg|
|All-up weight- catapult launch||19000 kg|
|Service ceiling||6000 m|
|Number of passengers 2-4 (or weight equivalent of mail/cargo)||2-4|